In times of drought

Have you ever felt abandoned by God?

That He neither looked on you with favor nor wrath?

Have your prayers reflected this sorrow, or even stopped praying all together?

Since no temptation has befallen us, except that which is common to man, 1 corinthians 10:13, I am pretty sure we have all been there. But just like the continuation of that verse, God is always faithful and will deliver us.

The psalmist writing in Psalm 77, open with a prayer reflecting this drought in God's apparent affection. Pleading with God to turn back. Asking for any type of response.

For me, it seems like it takes a lot to shake me from this feeling of drought. But I have a notion that I just end up ignoring most of God's pursuit of me, wallowing in my feelings.

There comes a turning point in the psalm when the psalmist stops pleading with God, and turns to reflect on the past goodness of God. A point that I can see as being the outstretched hand of God pulling His servant back home.

How often do we fail to listen when God calls us?

How many times have we failed to move when He asks us to?

I will tuck this Psalm away into my personal vault in my heart, to reflect upon the next time I feel abandoned, and hopefully I will stop wallowing in my pity and turn back to my God.

0 comments: