You are what you...

Eat? I know that everyone had heard that expression before. Trying to influence someones eating habit for the positive.

Think? Not as common an expression, but with similar meaning. What w think influences how we live. EvenDecartes referenced this in his famous quote: "I think, therefore I am." Not only giving explanation that to know that one exists, one only haas to think, but also what you think is who you are.

In my devotionals, as stated previously, I am going through the Psalms. In one of todays chapters, God offers a different, and deeper, completion to this saying.

You are what you WORSHIP.

Psalm 135:15-18: The idols of the nations are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths, but do not speak; they have eyes, but do not see; they have ears, but do not hear, nor is there any breath in their mouths. Those who make them become like them, so do all who trust in them!

What we worship becomes who we are. What we worship if the very thing that rules our hearts:

Luke 6:45 The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Matthew 5:28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

God clearly states that our hearts are what define us. So then the Psalm reflects that again, that w are what we worship.

Someone once told me, an idol is anything you are willing to sin for. And anything that is not God is an idol and sin against Him

The people that are referenced in the psalm created idols of gold, silver, and other materials. We idolize inanimate objects, people, ideas, and mostly ourselves. But none if those things can see or hear the truth, the future, or what is best for us. And since they are all deaf and blind, we too become deaf and blind. Even more so, those things are all dead or dying, and likewise we follow then into death.

My prayer this week is then that God would reveal to me (and you) what I idolize other than Him. Because I become blind and deaf when I idolize, I cannot determine when I am worshiping the created rather than the Creator, so I need Divine Intervention!

0 comments: