Unequally Yoked

I have heard this phrase used many times when I was dating. Mostly used to say that a believer should not date our pursue an unbeliever because of their core pursuits in life. There is scripture that stands behind this recommendation, but of course we are free to make our own mistakes.

Previously I had said I was going through the Psalms. I had been pursuing a 30 day pam, but had such a hunger for the Word that I competed it in less time. Most recently I began going through the book of Acts.

Todays reading took me through chapters 15-16, and while the term "unequally yoked" did not appear, that is what came to mind when I read:

Acts 15:10-11 Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will."

The disciples were speaking to people who would say that the gentiles needed to be circumcised according to tradition and to follow all the laws of Moses, in order to be saved. Even among the Christians then, there was a group calling themselves pharisees. The terminology used is also reminiscent if the distinctions and routes of our political parties today. Funny to see how things really never change, they just get new decorations.

I believe this discussion, early in the development of the church, is what led Paul to pen the words to the Galations & Ephesians:

Galatians 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Ephesians 2:11-13 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called "the uncircumcision" by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands-- remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Unequally yoked, holding someone else to an impossible standard that you could never obtain. Such hypocrisy still has wedges in my own heart and probably not just me. For "1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

Thank God for grace and mercy! My goal this week is to examine my own heart and my prayer if that God will lovingly show me where hypocrisy still appears in my heart.

0 comments: