The Phoenix

So, this is my explanation of the names and imagery used on this blog. I have always felt an attraction to the mythological creature: the Phoenix. So much to the point that it is more than just imagery for me, it is a symbol I have chosen to be a part of my life.

This is the introduction that Wikipedia gives for the phoenix:
A phoenix is a mythical bird with a colourful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet (or purple and blue, according to some sources). It has a 500 to 1,000 year life-cycle, near the end of which it builds itself a nest of myrrh twigs that then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix or phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again. The new phoenix is destined to live as long as its old self. In some stories, the new phoenix embalms the ashes of its old self in an egg made of myrrh and deposits it in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis (sun city in Greek). The bird was also said to regenerate when hurt or wounded by a foe, thus being immortal and invincible — it is also said that it can heal a person with a tear from its eyes and make them temporarily immune to death. The phoenix is a symbol of fire and divinity.

The phoenix is a universal symbol for death and new life. The phoenix that emerges from the ashes is not the old phoenix reborn, but a child and new life born from the death of the parent. This is a spiritual symbol to me, and many others over the ages, for the imagery of the death and resurrection of Christ and of the new life He has given us now and after His return.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17

The phoenix has shown up in a multitude of cultures across thousands of years, the Egyptians depicted it as what you might have thought was the Heron or Bennu Bird, the Chinese show it more colorfully than any other culture and tell the tale that it shows up to help mankind at different stages of development. The Greeks were the first to write about it, but all cultures reference it to the sun and to rebirth.

My life is about living for today, nothing about yesterday matters except that it moved me to the moment I am living right now. Yesterday and Tomorrow do not exist, only today and only right now.

So this blog is about living my life today, getting my own rebirth every moment of my life. Every new second is a chance to change my life, or a chance to reinforce those possibilities I create for myself.

Questions and comments are welcome to all that I write.

0 comments: